Navigating the (sometimes) rocky shores
of teaching and consulting
MYTH OR FACT?
Test your knowledge of how reliable student ratings are as a source of information about teaching effectiveness.
1. Student ratings are just popularity contests.
2. Student rating forms are unreliable and invalid.
3. Student ratings on single global items (e.g., Overall, the instructor is excellent) are accurate measures of an instructor’s effectiveness.
4. Students give lower ratings to instructors with high academic standards.
5. The grades students receive in a course are highly correlated with their ratings of the course and instructor.
6. Student ratings are influenced by whether the course is required or an elective.