HFC 19 Communication, Conflict, and the Quality of Family Relationships
by Alan Silars, Daniel J. Canary, and melissa Tafoya
1. What do we know about the relationship between conflict and marital satisfaction/quality?
HFC 20 Persuasion and Families by Steven R. Wilson and Wendy M. Morgan
1. Table 20.1 on page 450 has a list of strategies mothers use with their children: Positively oriented control strategies and Power-assertive control strategies. Is one better than the other, is one better most of the time, or can/do parents use both? Why?
2. In these two clips, what kind of control/persuasive strategies are the parents using to persuade the children to comply?
3. Table 20.3 on page 458 describes Falbo and Peplau’s Typology of Power Strategies in Intimate Relationships. What type of power strategies do you use in intimate relationships??? Does the situation determine what you use?
4. Demand/Withdrawal Patterning on pages 462-3 describe the behaviors of marital satisfaction and these types of patterning. Wife Demand/Husband Withdrawal found a decrease in the marital satisfaction, whereas the other situation, Husband Demand/Wife Withdrawal found an increase in marital satisfaction… Why could this be?
HFC 24 Discourses on Diapers and Dirty Laundry: Family Communication about Child Care and Housework
by Maureen Perry-Jenkins, Courtney P. Pierce, and Abbie E Goldberg (Dee)
1. What behavior(s) on the part of the partner of a substance abuser is/are most likely to decrease the abuse?
2. What kind of parent-adolescent relationship is associated with lower adolescent substance abuse?
1. The authors talk about a "time bind." What do they mean and how do we get out of it?
2. Any ideas on how to move us out of the bind created because "work commitment is defined as family neglect and family involvement is defined as a lack of work commitment." (p. 464).