Questions to Guide Your Readings on Appearance
Reading 4 The Effect of Television Advertising and Programming on Body Image Distortion in Young Women by Philip N. Myers, Jr. & Frank A Biocca
1. Why do women seem to "need" thinner bodies than men?
2. What would you do with a teenager to prevent eating disorders?
Reading 6 Beauty and the Labor Market by Daniel S. Mamermesh & Jeff E. Biddle
1. What does this article find? Is this a potential problem for American businesses? If so, how so? If not, why not?
2. What can you do to make that finding work for you?
Reading 8 Black Uniforms and Aggression in Professional Sports by Mark G. Frank & Thomas Gilovich
1. What is the relationship between black uniforms and penalities according to this study?
2. How does this notion of wearing black carry into other contexts (work, social, high school, etc)? Choose a context and speculate.
Reading 28 Time in Perspective by Alexander Gonzalez & Philip G. Zimbardo
SPOILER ALERT: IF YOU WANT TO TAKE THE ONLINE SURVEY FOR YOURSELF - DO SO BEFORE READING THE CHAPTER!!
1. What is your time orientation? What does that mean given who you are and who you want to be?
2. Why do the authors think that the problems of delinquency and teen pregnancy might benefit from "remedial time-perspective training" (p. 235)?
3. Does a future orientation cause people to be wealthier?
Reading 32 Communicating with Color by Shifra Stein
Consider some of what the internet has to say about color and its relation to people's moods:
1. So, what do you think? Does color affect our mood? Can we use it to manipulate mood?