Gender and Communication
Dr. Marcia D. Dixson
Building Bridges Between the Sexes
through Understanding of our Differences and Similarities
Return to homepage
Email Dr. Dixson
Questions to consider while reading the Prologue
1. What did you learn from reading about the history of feminist movements? Why do the authors and I put you through this history lesson?
2. Look at the text of Soujourner Truth’s “Ain’t I a Woman” speech. What do you think of it? What points is she making?
3. Does there seem to be any hypocrisy in the government’s attitudes towards women during and after World War II - check out Rosie the Riveter?
4. Check out the mission statement and six top priorities of NOW . As a leading feminist organization, does it seem to be for or against men? What makes you think so?
5. What exactly is the ERA and how many states are still needed to ratify it?
6. Do you think the feminist movement has been good for men? Why or why not?
7. Bring in current information on a feminist or men’s movement/group - you can choose national, state or local groups.