Gender and Communication
Dr. Marcia D. Dixson
Building Bridges Between the Sexes
through Understanding of our Differences and Similarities
Return to homepage
Email Dr. Dixson
Chapter 3: Pictures, Porno, and Pop
1. Of the six theories/models/approaches, which two do you feel best describe the media's role in our society. What do you feel media's role should be in our society?
2. How do you feel about the way advertising depicts women? men?
3. According to the research, does television accurately reflect men's and women's roles in today's society? Should it? Consider one of your favorite television shows or movies. How does it represent men? women?
4. Should we, as a society, be doing something about pornography? If so, what? If not, why not?
5. What kind of music do you listen to? Do you agree with the lyrics? Consider one of your favorite songs - is there a gendered message there? If so, do you agree with the message? Why or why not?