Gender and Communication
Dr. Marcia D. Dixson
Building Bridges Between the Sexes
through Understanding of our Differences and Similarities
Return to homepage
Email Dr. Dixson
1. Describe a stereotypical man. a stereotypical woman. Do you know anyone who fits the stereotype? Do you know people who try to? What are the costs/benefits of meeting either of these stereotypes?
2. How "real" are homornal influences on behavior for women? for men?
3. What is the difference between social learning, cognitve development, gender schema and Gilligan's gender identity development theory?
4. What is gender transcendence? Is an ideal society full of gender transcendents?
5. What do you feel was the biggest influence on your understanding of gender?
6. What other aspects of your identity interact with sex/gender to influence who you are?
Suggestion for mini-project:
Create a mini-experiment to determine either 1) if gendered socialization is still occuring for children and/or adolescents or 2) if standpoint theory is a viable theory (does it usefully describe social "reality"?).